We are 23 days into our RV adventure. There have been highs and lows. The first week I was convinced that we wouldn’t make it. It was sweltering hot in Texas, we were still figuring out the new lifestyle and there were so. many. tantrums. My 3 year old is not making the transition easy.
At least by now, Kent and I have figured out that we need to communicate 20x more than we were, have way more grace for each other and just work together as a team. I understand that I show alot of the perfect, serene moments on my instagram feed, but what you don’t see is just as important because it’s reality.
So there are upsides and downsides, as with anything new, and some of them are not mutually exclusive – each point is beneficial on it’s own but there is hardship that comes with even good things in life that are really valuable for growth. Living a life of terrific ease and comfort all the time never really taught anyone anything (that I know of). Here are the top 10 observations from a newbie traveler:
1. Tight space = loss of dignity and personal space
2. Less time to work (for me)
3. No consistency
4. Nowhere to put a screaming child
5. Carsickness Anyone have any tips on remedies?
6. One wrong switch flipped in the RV while driving into a gas station, we all blow up. For realz.
7. Um, I ran out of “downsides”
1. Meeting new people
2. Seeing new places
3. Building love and togetherness as a family
4. A Simpler life
6. Clean the whole house in an hour or less!
8. Focus on priorities in life – relationships, food, water, shelter, work – that pretty much sums it up
9. More time to read, write and journal!
10. A stronger, more intense season of walking with the Lord, listening and abiding
We shall not cease from exploration and at the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. -T.S. Eliot, “The Four Quartets”
We are in South Carolina right now, soaking up some quality time with my older sis and her family. It’s lovely to be in the south during the fall season. The trees will be turning soon and life is really, really sweet. More updates to come!