Thanks to Miss B. for the lovely wreath graphic download (see above)
What a contrast in photos: one holding a precious human being and one holding a chicken. Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.
These are two of my heroes since my early teens, both great women for completely opposite reasons. My husband says I’m a cross between them both, and while flattering, personally I think I only possess a few of their qualities in a much smaller measure. Here is what I love about Martha:
- Does things very well
- Loves beauty
And Mother Teresa:
- Pure motives
- Completely committed to her call
- Not about the 100′s, about the 1
- Didn’t care about what the world had to offer
When I took the Clifton Strength’s Finder test a few years ago, my #1 strength was Empathy. What?! That’s what I thought. My top strength is feeling sorry for people? But, no. That’s sympathy. Empathy is by definition:
1. the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
2. the imaginative ascribing to an object, as a natural object or work of art, feelings or attitudes present in oneself: By means of empathy, a great painting becomes a mirror of the self.
So I’m empathetic and creative. I have to think that this combination of qualities is for something. Somewhere at the intersection of art and heart lies my true passion. That’s why I started A Beautiful Idea last year. We raised over $900 together, with 58 participants. But I want more. The “Martha” side of me wants more. More artists to catch the vision of creating art with a purpose. More money raised to see suffering eased. Will you help me?
If you are an artist, and haven’t joined A Beautiful Idea, please consider it. This year I’m opening it up to any artist – photographers, writers, musicians. Everyone is invited. You also get to decide how much to give. It could be 10% of your profits, maybe 100% of one product.
If you helped last year, and would like to participate again, drop me a line in the comments below.
Thank you for reading this!